Tuesday 2 July 2013

Let's Bake: Apple and Currant Crumble Bars



Bit of a different post today. Since finishing A levels, I've found myself searching for things to do so I baked! And they're really good!
I don't take credit for this recipe, I found it in my Cake Days cookbook by the hummingbird bakery- £11 Amazon, but I made a few adjustments.

These are almost like flapjacks, there is a layer of oaty goodness, then a layer of sliced apple and currants and then another layer of oats.


RECIPE:

Makes 24

200g self raising flour (I used more as I was mixing so be prepared to have extra)
200g unsalted butter
250g soft light brown sugar
120g rolled oats
300g apples (I used golden delicious)
4 tbsp cornflour
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp groud ginger
175g currants



Pre-heat oven to 170C (Gas Mark 3) and line a 22x31cm tray.
Sift flour and rub in butter then stir in the sugar and oats.


Press half of this mixture into the tray.


Slice and peel the apples and mix them with the spices and cornflour then layer them on top of the oat layer.


Next, sprinkle the currants and put the rest of the oat mixture on top and gently press down. Then into the oven for 30-40 minutes!


Mine took 35 minutes until it was golden and didn't feel soft in the middle anymore. Then leave to cool before slicing and serving!



Cappuccino, optional. Can anyone guess which FleurDeForce video I'm watching?

Hope you liked this different post, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me in the comments or on my twitter.

Do you like trying out new recipes or do you have your own signature bake? I'd love to know!




3 comments:

  1. These look so nice and sound easy to rustle up! I will definitely be copying this and trying them this weekend! Thank you :)

    Christina | Passion Obsession

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, glad you liked it! It is easy, anything more complicated would have turned out a complete fail! Let me know how yours turn out on my twitter @makewayforemj :-)

      Delete
  2. Oooh yummy! :)

    sophie-said.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete